Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Flying my new Husky South

Late last year I went to Afton, Wyoming to buy myself an Aviat Husky A-1C; Huskys are made in Afton. Having paid the money I had her "torn-down" and shipped to Eastern Flying Club, near Pattaya, Thailand - a great club with many enthusiastic members! Here she was re-assembled and underwent her flight testing and, I flew her for about 15 hours to get the hang of her - I'd never flown a tail-dragger before and the techniques are a little different. Her name is Oh! Natty Jo-Jo after my daughters Natalie and Joanna.

On 20th July I flew her some 400 miles South to a temporary airfield, she'll be moved to another airfield sometime in the near future - she behaved in the ladylike manner you'd expect from a well-bred debutant! The trip took 3 hours and 40 minutes and so we were cruising with a groundspeed of about 115 mph at 10,500 feet and, we had around a 10 mph headwind the whole way. On this trip I averaged 7.8 US Gals per hour (29.15 l/hr) solo.

She's an A-1C with the Lycoming 0-360 (180 HP) engine. She has 31" Alaskan Bushwheels and takes-off/lands in pretty short distances. She is a BUSH PLANE:)

No comments:

Post a Comment